Lemon Shrimp and Avocado Caprese – an easy, healthy snack or appetizer that is perfect for parties or gatherings as it is sure to always be a crowd pleaser!
This Lemon Shrimp and Avocado Caprese is made with fresh mozzarella cheese, avocado, basil, blue cheese, heirloom tomato medley, and wild caught shrimp. Full of flavor, absolutely refreshing and only 202 calories per slice.
Avocados all day and every day!
Avocado toast is a staple in my kitchen. Whether it makes it’s way onto my breakfast plate or I have it as a midday snack. I don’t think there is ever a time an avocado is not in my house. Which more than likely explains why a lot of my recipes contain it in some form!
Avocados can go with anything!
I can’t feel too bad about it considering avocados are a very healthy fruit. And it helps that they are so versatile. They can be eaten as is, used in baking, put into a sauce, on salads, in soups or smoothies, and so forth. But if you’re not an avocado lover – you’re more than welcome to omit the mashed avocado mixture and still enjoy this recipe. It contains several different flavors, so you don’t need to worry about the avocado being a staple. It simply adds yet another layer of flavor to this delicious concoction!
Get creative with some of your favorites!
Another favorite dish of mine would be caprese salad. If I see it on a menu while dining out, I generally have to order it. How can you not? It’s such a refreshing and flavorful dish. So combining two of my favorite things: avocado toast and caprese salad together — it was a no-brainer to me and my taste buds! The lemon shrimp simply adds even more of a delightful flavor, as well as some protein. Each slice has a whopping 12.3 grams of protein!
The flavor combination of all three is simply a party in your mouth!
If you’re not a fan of blue cheese (or bleu cheese if you prefer), you can also omit that. Not everyone is a fan of that “stinky cheese”. I don’t consider it stinky (like my husband). I consider it extremely flavorful, exciting, and a sharp cheese. Which makes me a big, big fan! Ever tried it on your eggs?? YUM!
If you’re a fan of this Lemon Shrimp and Avocado Caprese, then you will love:
Look at that smorgasbord of deliciousness! Whether you enjoy this alone, with your significant other, family or friends at a party – you are going to absolutely love this recipe! And I guarantee so will everyone else!
- Whether fresh or frozen, I highly recommend using wild caught shrimp. Please do not buy farm raised or little shrimp. If you use frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator and then drain any excess water/juices that remain.
- Be sure to make sure which shrimp you are using – raw or cooked. Raw shrimp will appear greyish in color, whereas cooked shrimp will be firmer and pink in color. Also make sure that your shrimp is peeled and deveined before tossing together! This recipe calls for cooked (pink) shrimp.
- I used mozzarella pearls, but you can use sliced. Fresh is always best. I cannot begin to describe the taste difference. Please don’t use shredded mozzarella cheese. You will be doing yourself a disservice.
- Same freshness applies to the basil!
- You can use balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction as a drizzle for this recipe.
Lemon Shrimp and Avocado Caprese
- 1 12 oz loaf of Artisan Bread (or small loaf of bread of choice*, cut into 12-14 thin slices)
- 1 lb large wild caught shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lemon (freshly squeezed)
Lemon Avocado Mash:
- 2 avocados (halved and seeded)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups heirloom tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (finely cut or shredded)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella (pearls or sliced)
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If your bread is not pre-sliced, go ahead and slice it into equally thin slices. Approximately 12 slices. Spray a fine mist of olive oil cooking spray over the tops and bake for 5-10 minutes or until the bread has toasted.
- Spray a medium nonstick pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Once heated, add the shrimp. Season with sea salt and squeeze 1/2 of a lemon over the shrimp. Allow the shrimp to cook through until they are either warmed through (if you bought cooked pink shrimp) or until the uncooked shrimp reaches a firm pink color. Remove from heat.
- While the shrimp is cooking, mash together the avocado, garlic powder, lemon juice, black pepper, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Remove toast from oven and top each with mashed avocado, tomato halves, shrimp, mozzarella, blue cheese, shrimp, and basil.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over the top of each. Enjoy!