These Cheese Stuffed Chicken Meatballs are a lighter and healthy alternative to the traditional beef meatballs. They are perfect as an appetizer or used for subs, pasta dishes, or even in a casserole. And they are soooo good!
But then again, what dish isn’t good once cheese has been added to the mix? None I tell you. None.
These Cheese Stuffed Chicken Meatballs are stuffed with a small cube of mozzarella cheese, which just melts in your mouth with ooey gooey cheesyness! Nothing beats homemade meatballs with a warm, cheesy center. Especially piled on top of a bowl of pasta – the perfect comfort food if you ask me. Only thing missing would be that dipping bread!
You can easily make these in bulk to meal prep your meals for the week! Make these and dip them in my Homemade Tomato Sauce.
If you enjoy this dish, then you will enjoy some of my other recipes:
1. Shrimp and Feta Penne Pasta
2. Cheesy Chicken Sausage Pasta
3. Cheesy Skillet Taco Pasta
4. Chicken Avocado Pesto Pasta
Mini Cheese Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 oz. fresh mozzarella (cut into cubes)
- 3/4 cup Ian's Italian Style Panko Breadcrumbs
- Dash of basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once heated, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and finely chopped bell peppers and saute until the onions have cooked through.
- While that is cooking, combine the ground chicken, egg whites, and seasonings into a large mixing bowl. You may need to use your hands to thoroughly mix and incorporate the seasonings and egg whites.
- Once the peppers, onions and garlic have cooked, fold them through the chicken mixture.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture to each muffin well and pat down with a spoon, or you can press down with your fingers.
- Once you have filled each well, add one 1/4 oz cube of fresh mozzarella to each one, followed by 1 tablespoon of the remaining chicken mixture.
- Spread the chicken mixture over each cube of cheese. Top each with 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs and a dash of dried basil.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.