Shrimp and Feta Penne Pasta – the perfect meal if you’re looking for a comfort dish for dinner tonight! The shrimp, feta cheese, and penne pasta come together with some intense and delicious flavor thanks to the herb-infused tomato sauce.
I know what you’re thinking; shrimp and feta … with pasta? Who mixes shrimp with cheese?? Seems like a strange combination. But it can’t be too strange if you found your way to this page. If you make this, use a block of fresh feta cheese and not the pre-crumbled. Pre-crumbled will work, but fresh cheese makes all the difference in the world. I promise you!
It is the perfect pasta dish for anyone looking for a little comfort during the cold winter months, or if you’re just a pasta lover – like me.
If you’re not much of a shrimp fan, you can swap for chicken or the meat of your preference. Or you can go meatless as this dish has enough flavor to stand on its own.
- Be sure to use medium to large-sized shrimp. Not the little shrimp. Nothing farm-raised. Please… Wild caught is the way to go!
- As stated above, use a fresh block of feta cheese if you can find it rather than the pre-crumbled. Both will work, but the fresh feta has a better flavor.
- cup ½diced yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded brussel’s sprouts (approx. 8 brussels)
- 8 mini bell peppers (or 1 large bell pepper, chopped)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- ½ tsp. paprika
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- tsp ½dried thyme
- tsp ¼dried oregano
- tsp ½dried basil
- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta (14.5 oz)
- 10 oz. jumbo (wild caught shrimp, tail off, peeled & deveined)
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce (I use Bellino brand)
- 1 container feta cheese (6 oz)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (for garnishment)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Place a medium, deep pot over medium heat and add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once heated, add the minced garlic, chopped onion, Brussels sprouts, and chopped bell peppers. Allow them to cook until they have softened.
- Once they have softened, add the canned tomatoes, remaining seasonings & pesto sauce. Mix well, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling, add the shrimp, stir, and lower to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, set the oven to broil on low and place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook the penne pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Once cooked, combine the pasta with the sauce and mix well.
- Scoop the pasta mixture into a large prepared baking dish. Fold in the feta cheese, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Place the dish into the oven under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the dish to prevent from burning the pasta. Enjoy!