This Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe is incredibly delicious, family-friendly, and easy to make! Clean eating never tasted so good! If you’re looking for a healthy, easy dinner tonight – this is it.
LOOKING FOR SIMPLE?
Then look no further. This recipe is right up your alley. These jumbo Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are stuffed with ground beef that is seasoned perfectly, and topped with corn, tomatoes, freshly shaved cheese, lime juice, and a mashed avocado blend. All the fixings and then some!
Although this recipe calls for extra-lean ground beef, you are more than welcome to serve it with ground turkey or ground chicken for a healthier, lower-fat option. We generally do ground chicken on taco nights, but for the sake of food photography – I opted for ground beef. Not just because it tastes delicious, but because it photographs a little better than ground turkey or ground chicken.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS TACO TUESDAY EATS? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES:
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup – Crock Pot option available, as well. Perfect for these cool months.
- Loaded Skinny Taco Flatbread Pizza – combining two amazing things: tacos + pizza. You’re welcome.
- Cheesy Skillet Taco Pasta – a cheesy taco filled pasta dish that will hit the ‘comfort food’ part of your soul.
- Southwest Style Sweet Potato Taco Lettuce Wraps – the perfect low-carb rendition to Taco Tuesdays.
- Easy Crockpot Mexican Style Shredded Chicken – a super simple, super delicious dump and go crockpot recipe.
- Easy Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Carnitas – another easy, flavor-packed crockpot chicken dish that is great in lettuce wraps, hard/soft taco shells, or covering a pan of nachos.
ALL THE TACO TOPPINGS
If you follow me on Instagram or are subscribed to my blog, then you know what a major taco lover I am. You may have also picked up on the fact that I have a love for toppings. Truly, give me all the toppings! This post/recipe will be no different than my recent Easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup – where I list off any and all taco-loving toppings.
- Plain greek yogurt or sour cream – I prefer plain greek yogurt. The taste is relatively the same as sour cream to me and a healthier option.
- Hot sauce – for those that like it hot! I like a little bite to my tacos, but not to where I can’t taste anything – like my husband. HA!
- Sliced jalapenos – if you’re not a hot sauce fan.. or you’re like my husband and like the heat to build until you’re almost in tears.
- Avocado – any which way. Plainly sliced, mashed with garlic powder, salt and pepper (like in this dish), or perhaps you would love my Avocado Corn Salsa.
- Diced tomatoes & freshly shaved cheese – because who doesn’t enjoy these stuffed into a traditional taco??
- Salsa – Any! Make it your favorite kind!
The options are truly endless! Top these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes off with the toppings of your choosing!
FIND ME ON:
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, approximately 2 lbs total (or sub for russet potatoes)
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef, (or sub ground chicken/turkey)
- 1/3 cup white onion, (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup corn, (cooked - frozen or canned)
- 1/2 tsp salt, (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium tomato, (diced)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, (freshly shredded)
- 1 medium avocado, (peeled and pitted)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt, (more or less, to taste)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, (more or less, to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice, (to taste)
Additional Garnishment (optional, not factored into nutrition breakdown):
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Sliced lime, (to squeeze)
- plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- sliced jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke each sweet potato all over with a fork. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately 40-50 minutes, or until fork tender.
- During the last 10-15 minutes the sweet potatoes are baking, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet placed over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the minced onion and cook until it has softened and the color is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef (or ground meat of choice), breaking it apart as it cooks, so that there are no large chunks. Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir to thoroughly combine the seasonings with the ground meat mixture. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the meet is no longer pink. Add the corn to warm.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool before handling. They will be too hot to handle and slice into to stuff right out of the oven.
- While they are cooling, combine the avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, and garlic powder into a small mixing bowl. Mash thoroughly to combine. Adjust seasonings and juice to your taste preference.
- To serve, cut a slice down the center of each sweet potato and gently pull open. Fill each with a 1/4 of the taco filling, then top with mashed avocado mixture, shredded cheddar cheese, corn, and tomatoes.
- Garnish with any additional toppings of your choosing!