Cheesy Skillet Taco Pasta – this pasta dish is absolutely scrumptious! An easy, cheesy, and quick meal that will not only be on your table in 30 minutes, but be a repeat to your table time and again.
There are no words to describe just how delicious this dish was. There are two things that makes my tummy the happiest – cheese and pasta. I swear, I must have been Italian in another life. I could happily live off of those two things (even bread) for the rest of my life and be happy.
Perhaps not my waistline, but my taste buds – most definitely. Don’t be fooled by the jalapeños on top. This dish is in no way hot, but if you’re looking to add a little heat – they are the perfect start. Especially cooked.
This dish is cheesy taco goodness. I can’t promise you’ll be able to portion control yourself with this one.
This recipe is so good I have made it more than a few times. It certainly became a quick fan favorite with my husband. And we all know – the significant others opinion ranks high on our lists. If we had any children, they would probably rank even higher considering their picky palates. Haha
If you love this recipe, then you’re going to enjoy my other taco recipes!
Cheesy Skillet Taco Pasta
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion (diced)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 jalapenos (sliced (optional))
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes & green chilies (1)
- 2 3/4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3 cups whole grain rotini (or pasta of choice)
- 1/2 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a cast iron (or oven-safe pan) over medium heat with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil. Once the olive oil is heated, add the diced onion, bell peppers, and minced garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes.
- As the onions caramelize, add the ground chicken, salt and pepper, and remaining seasonings. Stir well and break up the chicken as it cooks.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, add the sliced jalapeños (optional), diced tomatoes, chicken broth and pasta. Bring to a boil, stir very well and lower temperature to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook 10-15 minutes or until the pasta has softened. Allow for there to be some remaining liquid from the broth.
- As soon as the pasta is cooked, mix in 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Once the cheese has been mixed throughout and melted- top with remaining cheese and jalapeno pepper slices. Place the skillet into the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet/pan, then spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake until cheese has melted.
- Serve with toppings of choice.