This Skinny Taco Salad is made full of flavor! It is a HEALTHIER version of traditional tacos, loaded with lean ground turkey, shredded cheddar cheese, pico de gallo, salsa, and plain greek yogurt overtop a bed of crisp romaine lettuce.
This makes for a simple, quick and delicious meal prep option!
HEALTHIER TACO SALAD
If you’re a fan of tacos and salads, then you’re in the right place! If you’re looking for an easy and quick recipe to meal prep, then you’re in the right place, too!
This recipe is not only a great light lunch or dinner option, but it is also a great to-go kit to throw together for your weekday lunches. Bonus? It’s a healthier take on the traditional Taco Tuesday that we all know and LOVE. Win win!
Well, unless you’re like me and it’s Taco Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or any day of the week for that matter. Taco’s are good at any time. Not just on Tuesdays. 😉
These taco salads are the perfect blend of healthy and indulging. They are full of vegetables, protein, and tons of flavor. All while being on the lighter side of things. The portions make for a filling lunch option and not an overindulging one. Which is perfect if you’re trying to portion control.
Pair this Skinny Taco Salad with my scrumptious, easy-to-make Avocado Corn Salsa! So good!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS SALAD
- 93% lean ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Veggies: onion, garlic, and bell pepper
- Tomato sauce – no salt added
- Seasonings: ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne red pepper (optional, will add heat!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Romaine lettuce
- Salsa – your favorite kind
- Shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- Plain greek yogurt (or sub with sour cream)
- Pico de gallo
- Lime wedges
- Garnish: freshly chopped cilantro
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to make a purchase via the link provided, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you whatsoever. I recommend these products because I have tested them and find that they are helpful and worth the cost; not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to make a purchase.
- Substitute ground chicken for the ground turkey.
- For added protein: add in black beans or pinto beans.
- Don’t have bell peppers? Sub with mushrooms or corn!
- Substitute the toppings listed above for any of your favorite taco toppings.
- If you’re missing the crunch of a hard taco shell, break one up and serve it overtop of the salad. Or serve with a few tortilla chips.
The beauty of this recipe is that all you need is a cutting board and knife and a pan to cook this in! Enjoy the salad immediately or divide the ingredients between four divided meal prep containers to have for your lunch for the next few days.
Everything is divided into their own little containers and bags – which I highly recommend. This will prevent the meal from getting soggy and when it’s time to re-heat the ground turkey, it’s completely separate from the salad, chips, and toppings. I use re-useable dressing containers to separate my pico de gallo, greek yogurt, etc.
MORE TACO TUESDAY INSPIRED RECIPES TO TRY
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Loaded Skinny Taco Flatbread Pizza
- Southwest Style Sweet Potato Taco Lettuce Wraps
FAVORITE MEAL PREP TOOLS:
- Re-useable Dressing Containers – perfect for dressings, sauces, cheese, etc.
- Divided Glass Lunch Containers – great to keep certain items separated that you don’t want mingling.
- Glass Lunch Containers – one compartment that works perfectly for an entire meal (such as meats, vegetables, potatoes) that needs reheating.
- Cutlery Set – perfect for on-the-go and it comes with a holder so you won’t lose the silverware!
Skinny Taco Salad - Meal Prep
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, (diced)
- 1/2 bell pepper, (any color, diced)
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp salt, (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne red pepper, (optional *WILL add heat!)
- 3 cloves garlic, (minced - 1 1/2 tsp minced)
- 2 tbsp salsa, (your favorite salsa)
- 1/3 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 8 cups chopped romaine
- 1/2 cup salsa, (your favorite salsa)
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo, (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, (or sub sour cream)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (or mexican blend)
- lime wedges
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once heated, add the onions and peppers. Sauté 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once it is halfway cooked, add the seasonings, stir well and cook until browned.
- Add in salsa and tomato sauce, stirring well to fully incorporate. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes.