Chocolate Chip Banana Yogurt Muffins – what could be better than starting your morning with a warm, fluffy chocolate chip muffin? How about knowing that they are under 200 calories each?? These Chocolate Chip Banana Yogurt Muffins are moist and soft and have the perfect amount of sweetness to satisfy your cravings – and without the guilt. Ultimate perfection there if you ask me!
I mean, look at that fluffy center! And, of course, I drizzled some melted peanut butter over the top. Because everything in life is better when peanut butter meets chocolate. My husband and I have both enjoyed waking up this weekend, warming one of these muffins in the microwave (approx. 10-15 sec FYI! 😉 with a nice, warm cup of hazelnut coffee. And I know they will be even better once the fall season starts.
I’ve learned through trial and error with baking, that the key to a perfect muffin begins with two things:
1. Don’t be overly vigorous when you combine your wet ingredients with the dry ingredients mixtures. Once they have thoroughly combined – stop!
2. Have the right amount of leavening agents – baking soda + baking powder. Finding a proper balance helps to create the puffy peak when baking.
I generally prefer to use mini chocolate chips when it comes to smaller baked goods, as they disperse more readily when baking, but feel free to use regular chocolate chips or any chips or your choosing. Perhaps even chocolate chunks or white chocolate chips? Mmmm! Ideas are brewing already for a White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Yogurt Muffin edition (that’s a mouthful…literally!) What do you think??
I currently have these on day 4 in my freezer, in separate sandwich baggies (for portion control!) and they are still great warmed in the microwave for 10-15 seconds max – depending on your microwave. You do not have to freeze these or even keep them in the fridge. I just prefer to keep sweet, fluffy and delicious things like this off my counter. I find that separating them into their own bags and putting them into the freezer keep me from eating 2-3,…. maybe even 4, in one day!
Maybe you won’t need to.
Maybe you have better self-control than I do. ha!
Now, go and make these muffins. Whether its for you, a gathering, a friend or co-worker, they will love you for it! I hope you enjoy these muffins just as I do with your morning java/tea! They are perfect even as an afternoon snack. I just watched my husband devour one as I typed up this post! Haha.
Chocolate Chip Banana Yogurt Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (divided)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with liners. If you're using regular liners, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Otherwise they will stick to the liners due to the lack of oil in the batter. I use parchment baking cups and they work perfectly!
- In a large bowl, combine banana, sugar, yogurt, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix until bananas have been fully mashed.
- In a separate bowl, combing remaining dry ingredients - oat flour, ww pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, adding 1/2 cup at a time.
- Once fully mixed, fold in 1/4 cup crushed walnuts and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Using the same measuring cup, add 1/4 cup batter to each muffin cup. Top each muffin with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick removes clean from center.