Are you ready for the best and easiest grilled chicken you will ever make? Then what are you waiting for? Get to grilling and sink your teeth into this Grilled Chili Lime Chicken recipe this summer!
Chicken thighs and legs that are crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Just the way chicken should be. Super easy to make and a recipe that your family will be requesting over and over. They are that good!
GRILLED CHILI LIME CHICKEN
The marinade for this Grilled Chili Lime Chicken is one of the best marinades you will ever try! It is full of flavor and all you need to do is toss everything into a Ziploc bag. Allow the fresh ingredients to mingle together with the chicken and work it’s magic!
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use an indoor grill pan or bake it! Instructions for baking and grilling are provided in the printable recipe card below. Serve this chicken with a side salad or some in-season summer vegetables.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS CHICKEN DISH
Full recipe with directions are provided in the printable recipe card below. Simply scroll down! 🙂
- Chicken thighs and legs, bone-in & skin-on
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Seasonings: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chile pepper, salt and black pepper
- Lime juice (fresh is best!)
- Garnishments: Lime wedges (for an extra punch of lime flavor), chopped green onions
WHY CHICKEN THIGHS AND LEGS
- Chicken thighs and legs tend to be the more flavorful and tender parts of the chicken, but you are more than welcome to substitute chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Thighs and legs have a higher fat content, which is what makes them more tender and flavorful than breasts.
- They are also more budget-friendly.
- If you’re not a fan of the skin, you don’t have to eat it! For maximum tenderness leave the skin on during the marinating and grilling. Take it off prior to eating.
Looking for a side dish to serve this Grilled Chili Lime Chicken with? Try these!
- Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Roasted Dill Pickle Potato Wedges
- Mozzarella Parmesan Baked Tomato Slices
- Cheesy Pepper Jack Roasted Brussels Sprouts
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- Culinary 12-inch Round Grill Pan (if you do not have an outdoor grill)
- Heatproof Stainless Steal Basting Brush
- Heat Resistant Stainless Steal Tongs
- Herb Scissors – my favorite little kitchen gadget!
STILL HUNGRY? FIND ME ON:
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken
- 3 lbs skin-onn, bone-in chicken, legs and thighs (about 8-10 pieces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile pepper
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- freshly chopped green onions
- lime wedges
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade into a small bowl. Reserve 3-4 tablespoons of the marinade for grilling.
- From here you can either combine the marinade with the chicken into a Ziploc bag or do what I prefer to do prior to combining:Using a basting brush, coat each drumstick and thigh with the marinade. I prefer this method as I feel that it ensures the marinade coats each piece of chicken thoroughly. After basting, add the chicken to the Ziploc bag and pour in the remaining marinade (minus the reserved marinade).
- Seal the bag, toss to coat some more and place into the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 1 day. The longer it marinates - the more flavorful it will be.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat (approximately 400 degrees). Once the grates are hot, be sure to clean them and then safely rub with oil using a paper towel and a pair of long-handled tongs.
- Grill chicken skin side down for 5-10 minutes. Brush the reserved marinade over each piece until all of marinade is used.
- Once the side has a good sear, turn the chicken over and sear the other side for 5-10 minutes.
- Continue grilling and flipping for 10-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees F using a meat thermometer.Grilling time will vary depending on how large/meaty each thigh and leg are. If the chicken starts to brown/burn too quickly, lower the temperature to medium.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet/dish with foil or parchment paper. Or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from the bag and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet with a little space in between each one. Brush any leftover marinade over the tops of each piece.
- Bake, uncovered, for approximately 30-45 minutes or until cooked through. Check the thickest part of the thigh or leg using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees F.Baking time will vary depending on how large/meaty each thigh and leg are.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and lime wedges for a boost of lime flavoring.