Creamy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash – if you’re a fan of buffalo chicken and pasta, but are trying to cut back on carbs – then this is the recipe for you! These boats are filled with a delicious mixture of spaghetti squash, shredded chicken, sautéed peppers and onions, and cheeses – all tossed in a creamy buffalo sauce.
Very easy to make, a great low-carb alternative, and full of flavor! Guaranteed to become a repeat upon repeat at your table!!
CREAMY BUFFALO CHICKEN SPAGHETTI SQUASH
It’s mind-blowing how easy this recipe is to make considering that it has so much flavor! It’s not a super quick meal that comes together in minutes, like most of my recipes. But I promise the flavor of this dish is worth the time invested to make them. Most of the time is dedicated to the spaghetti squash baking, though. So don’t fret, my pet!
You can cut down time and effort spent on this if you already have leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken. Then, it is as simple as tossing all the ingredients together into a mixing bowl and then into the cooked squash to warm, bake, and melt together.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS CREAMY BUFFALO CHICKEN SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- Spaghetti squash
- Chicken (fresh or cooked)
- Mozzarella cheese and cream cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Olive oil, garlic, & seasonings
- Bell pepper & onion
- Franks RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce
THAT’S IT! 🙂
HOW TO COOK THE SPAGHETTI SQUASH
Full recipe with ingredients can be found at the end of the post within the recipe card! 🙂
The squash can be cooked either in the microwave or the oven. Use either method that works best for your:
Oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise from root to end. Remove the seeds and brush the insides with olive oil. Place cut-side down onto a prepared baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil). Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until it feels tender when squeezed or when easily pierced with a fork or knife.
Microwave: Pierce the outside of the squash with a knife or fork all over. Place into a microwave-safe dish (such as an 8 x 8 glass pyrex dish) and add approximately 1 cup of water. Microwave for 6-8 minutes. Using heat-protective gloves or pot holders, turn the squash over. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.
*The cooking time for both will be dependent on the size of your squash. Make sure the shell is soft and can easily be pierced with a fork or knife.
MORE DELICIOUS LOW-CARB RECIPES TO TRY!
- Honey Garlic Chicken Lettuce Wraps – an easy to make sticky, sweet and savory honey garlic sauce that is so delicious – you will be licking your fingers clean! This recipe takes no time to make and is the perfect healthier alternative to takeout.
- Mini Cauliflower Pepperoni Pizzas – made with a thin cauliflower crust that is filled with herbs and cheeses. The crust is topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and mini pepperoni’s!
- Grilled Chicken Cauliflower Alfredo with Zucchini Noodles – one of the most popular recipes on my blog & for good reason! This recipehas so much going for it as far as flavor, creaminess, and texture. If you’re looking to enjoy a chicken Alfredo dish, but also want to cut back on calories – then this is the recipe for you coming in at under 275 calories per serving!
- Steak Fajita Bowls with Garlic Lime Cauliflower Rice – these fajita bowls will complete your Taco Tuesday cravings! Steak marinated in a garlic lime sauce and is super tender, as well as flavorful. This dish is perfect if you’re looking to drop the tortillas and rice. Both have been replaced with a Garlic Lime Cauliflower Rice helping to make it a low-carb, yet filling well-balanced meal.
- Honey Teriyaki Salmon with Cauliflower Rice – a deliciously sticky, sweet and savory dish that can be on your table in under 30 minutes. Skip the high-calorie, high-carb takeout and try this healthier, low-carb rendition!
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 lb chicken breast, (boneless and skinless & thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 large spaghetti squash, (or two small)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, (can sub with cheese of choice)
- 1/2 cup Franks RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, (softened)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, (or green or yellow, diced)
- 1/2 yellow onion, (diced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- freshly chopped chives, (or green onions)
- black pepper, (to taste)
- ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Franks RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
Spaghetti Squash Microwave Option:
- Pierce the outside of the squash with a knife or fork all over. Place into a microwave-safe dish (such as an 8 x 8 glass Pyrex dish) and add approximately 1 cup of water. Microwave for 6-8 minutes. Using heat-protective gloves or pot holders, turn the squash over. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes. You may need to cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or so, depending on the size of the squash.
- Once cool to handle, carefully slice the spaghetti squash in half, split and scoop out the seeds.
Spaghetti Squash Oven Option:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise from root to end. Remove the seeds and brush the insides with olive oil. Place cut-side down onto a prepared baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil). Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until it feels tender when squeezed or when easily pierced with a fork or knife. Time may vary depending on the size of the squash.
When squash is removed, lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the chicken. You can use pre-cooked chicken or follow the instructions to cook below.
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season the chicken breast (that is thinly sliced - will cook faster and evenly) with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove to a plate to cool slightly before shredding with two forks.
- To the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the diced peppers and onions until the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic to cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To a large mixing bowl, combine the sautéed peppers and onions, shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce, cream cheese, and greek yogurt. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Once the squash has been cooked and cooled enough to handle, use a fork to scrape along the edges to create strands. Remove approximately 1/2 of the squash from each bowl and fold it into the buffalo chicken mixture. Be careful not to pierce or tear the shell of the squash.
- Stuff the spaghetti squash skins with the mixture and top each squash with the 1 cup of cheese (1/2 cup per squash) and place face-up onto the same baking sheet. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Optional: Switch the oven to broil on LOW for 2-3 minutes to brown and crisp up the the cheese slightly.
- Garnish with pepper, chives, and your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing.