If you’re looking for an easier way to enjoy a homemade version of your favorite sushi roll at home – this California Roll Sushi Bowls recipe is for you! Very easy to make, minimal prep and cook time – resulting in a delicious, filling bowl of sushi rice layered with cucumber slices, carrots, diced avocado and Sriracha Mayo coated crab.
SAVE MONEY AND DIY
Let’s be honest here. How much are you spending on sushi when you dine out or order take out? Are you like me and cycle through craving the same things for a period of time? I recently just came off a pizza binge.
I wanted nothing but pizza – even when I was trying to be good, I would be at the gym and see a pizza commercial and I just had to have it. Crazy cravings, I know! I do the same with sushi. But its so expensive once you and your significant other start buying 3-4+ sushi rolls (because you can’t just get 1 or 2, right?)!
Now, I’m not telling you to completely stop ordering out. That would be crazy, too. But what’s the harm in trying to make it at home and save a few bucks?? None!
This is the most simple, flavorful and the cheapest version of a sushi bowl. I generally use the vegetables I have on hand for toppings, but you can add whatever strikes your fancy or you have on hand in your own kitchen.
- Chopped mango
- Sashimi (sushi grade salmon)
- Tofu (if you’re vegetarian/vegan)
- Cauliflower rice instead of white rice
- Quinoa instead of white rice
- Nori – cut into pieces (what sushi generally comes wrapped in)
- Ahi tuna (sushi grade)
- Green onions/Scallions
Just allow yourself to get creative! Making sushi bowls are not only more cost effective, but easier than trying to roll your own sushi. So give it a whirl!
CALIFORNIA ROLL SUSHI BOWL INGREDIENTS:
Full recipe can be found in the printable recipe card below. Scroll down! 🙂
- Short grain white rice
- Rice vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Large avocado
- Imitation crab meat
- Shredded/julienned carrots
- Cucumber (I used english)
- Sesame seeds
- Light mayonnaise
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Micro-greens (optional)
HOW TO MAKE CALIFORNIA ROLL SUSHI BOWLS
- Rinse the rice very well and cook.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the toppings.
- While the rice is resting, heat the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium sauce pan. Once cooked, pour over the rice and toss to thoroughly coat. Taste and add more vinegar, if you prefer.
- In a bowl, toss the crab together with the sriracha and mayo.
- Layer each bowl with rice, crab mix, diced avocado, carrots, cucumbers, and garnish with sesame seeds. Drizzle with low-sodium soy sauce.
MORE EASY RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Sweet Sriracha Chicken Bowls
- Chipotle Chicken and Rice Bowl
- Instant Pot Beef Ragu Pappardelle
- Salted Hazelnut Chunky Monkey Bites
STILL HUNGRY? FIND ME ON:
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
California Sushi Roll Bowls
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, (more or less, to taste)
Sriracha Mayo Crab:
- 12 oz imitation crab meat
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, (or regular)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sriracha, (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 small English cucumber, (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 large avocado, (diced)
- sesame seeds
- low-sodium soy sauce
- Add the rice to a fine mesh strainer and run under cold water for 1-2 minutes, rinsing until the water runs clear.
- Allow the rice to thoroughly drain and then transfer it to a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water. Place on high heat and bring the rice to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest, undisturbed and covered, for 15 additional minutes.
- While you wait, place a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cook, stirring with a whisk, until the sugar has dissolved completely. Remove from the burner to allow to cool slightly.
- When the rice is ready, pour the vinegar mixture overtop of the rice and stir to thoroughly mix. Fold until all of vinegar mixture has been absorbed by the rice.
- To a small mixing bowl, combine the crab meat with the sriracha and mayonnaise. Mix well.
- To four bowls add the rice and layer with crab mixture, cucumber slices, carrots, diced avocado, sesame seeds and micro greens. Drizzle with soy sauce and enjoy!
105g carbs? Seems a little high for one bowl? Just making sure that’d right . Looks delish. Can’t Wait to make it . 🙂
Hey Karla! Oh, my sweet goodness! Thank you! There was an ingredient (rice) that was incorrectly auto-calculated by my recipe card. I didn’t even see how off it was. Just corrected the full nutrition label with the correct breakdown for the rice for the recipe. Thank you for the heads up! Hope you enjoy it! 🙂 <3
sushi so yum, I love it. Thanks for recipe!
Thank you so much!!