Lettuce wraps are so easy to make and such a delicious, healthy low-carb alternative to the traditional tacos. These are packed with tons of protein, healthy fats and flavor. You’re going to smack yourself for not making them sooner. And I promise- with all the fixings- two lettuce wraps are all you will need. They are quite filling!
After having made these several times, I had to make them for my grandmother when I went to visit her this past December. She is the type of grandma who lovingly stuffs you will cookies, pies, fried chicken, Texas sheet cake, and loads of other sinful delicious goodies while you’re visiting. But she does allow me to take over in the kitchen from time to time and is always open to trying some of my healthy recipes. Let me just say – getting grandma’s stamp of approval is even better than getting your significant others! It’s like receiving a trophy of the highest regard when my grams enjoys my recipes. It’s a personal accomplishment to me.
So whenever you’re craving tacos, but don’t want to have the guilt from the traditional tacos – try these!
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
Author: With Peanut Butter on Top
- Serves: 8 stuffed lettuce wraps
- Serving size: 1 large romaine leaf, filling, 1 tbs cheese, 1 tbs greek yogurt, & 2 tbs Avocado Corn Salsa
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Unsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Trans fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3g
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 21.6g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Chicken Taco Meat:
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup white onion, diced
- ½ tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 small roma tomatoes, diced
- 8 outer romaine leaves
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Avocado Corn Salsa
- 2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Place a non-stick pan with ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Saute until the onion has become translucent.
- While you're waiting, combine all ingredients for the taco seasoning: chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes - all into a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the ground chicken breast to the pan of onions and garlic, breaking it into smaller crumbles as it cooks.
- Once broken, add the taco seasoning-- sprinkling over the entire pan.
- Allow the ground chicken to cook until cooked through.
- While you're waiting for the chicken to cook, make the Avocado Corn Salsa
- and refrigerate until needed. Also dice the roma tomatoes and scallion.
- Using the romaine lettuce leaves like a boat- add the chicken, chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 2 tablespoons of the Avocado Corn Salsa, 1 tablespoons greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of chopped scallions.