Cheesy Chicken Sausage Pasta – a delicious, creamy, comfort meal if there ever was one. If you’re a pasta lover like me – then you need to try this recipe out. It is packed full of veggies, light on the sauce and full of flavor. This is extremely easy to make and guaranteed to be on your table in 20 minutes or less!
This Cheesy Chicken Sausage Pasta dish has become one of my favorite go-to comfort meals lately. I am pretty sure my husband lived off of the leftovers for this for several days while I was away from home. You always know it’s a keeper when your significant other can’t get enough of it and even asks for a repeat.
When chicken sausage first came out, I was a bit skeptical of replacing what I grew up with – and that’s traditional pork sausage. I’ve tried turkey bacon and, although good, it never replaced real bacon for me. But I am always willing to give something a chance and be open minded. Sometimes, like with this, it’s worth the healthy swap! Chicken sausage truly tastes just like traditional pork sausage. So if you have yet to try it, I highly recommend doing so!
Cheesy Chicken Sausage Pasta
- 12 oz. pasta (of choice - I used Farfalle (bowtie) pasta)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 oz chicken sausage links (chopped (I used Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style - 12pkg))
- 1 bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped, approximately 1/2 cup)
- 2 14.5 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or choice)
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 jalapeno (diced (optional))
- Place a medium pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta, stir and cook according to the package for al dente pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once heated, add the sausage, diced onion, diced bell pepper and minced garlic. Cook until the sausage has browned and the onions have started to caramelize, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and remaining seasonings. Stir and allow to cook 1-2 minutes.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain and add it to the skillet with the sausage and tomatoes.
- If adding the diced jalapeño, add it now.
- In a small bowl, combine greek yogurt, parmesan cheese and milk. Stir well. Slowly fold into the skillet with the pasta, carefully tossing to coat.
- Add in the arugula and cook 1-2 minutes, or until the arugula has wilted.
- Remove from heat and mix in mozzarella cheese.
- Serve topped with additional mozzarella cheese, if desired.