Homemade Pico de Gallo
This Homemade Pico de Gallo recipe is made with fresh ingredients, easy to make and full of flavor! You will only need 6 ingredients and 15 minutes of chopping to make the best dip or garnishment. Great on tacos, burritos, nachos or even in Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup!
Servings 6 servings, as an appetizer
- 1 1/2 pounds firm tomatoes, chopped, I used roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 small jalapeños, finely chopped *See notes below
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more or less - to taste
- black pepper optional - to taste
To a glass mixing or serving bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.
Give the chopped items a good toss.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top, season with salt and black pepper (if using). Both to taste.
Toss to combine. Cover and place into the fridge for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to marinate.
Serve with lime wedges for extra lime flavoring.Be sure to give the pico a good toss prior to serving.Will last 4-5 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Chop each ingredient as finely as you can. This will ensure that each ingredient makes it onto a tortilla chip for maximum flavor!
- For a milder dip, remove the seeds and membrane from the jalapeños before chopping.
- When handling the jalapeño, I do recommend wearing gloves. The juices will seep into your skin and remain there for a bit. Or simply avoid touching your face or near your eyes. Ask me how I know. :-D
- When serving to garnish over nachos, tacos, or burritos - use a slotted spoon as the water and lime juice that settles will make your meal watery and soggy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 201mg | Potassium: 318mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1085IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg