Five Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
An easy, low-carb and high-protein meal or appetizer option that only calls for 5 ingredients!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/4 cup cream cheese room temp, can sub for low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice
- chopped scallions
- freshly chopped cilantro
- ranch dressing
- extra buffalo sauce or your favorite hot sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
If cooking your own chicken (see notes for recommendation), I recommend starting it first and then preparing the zucchini boats.
Slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the insides. Place into the baking dish cut-side up.
Combine the cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, and shredded chicken into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Spoon the chicken mixture into the zucchini boats.
Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Check at 20 minutes to see if zucchini has softened to your liking.
Once the zucchini has softened, top with mozzarella cheese, re-cover and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Serve garnished with chopped scallions, freshly chopped cilantro, and drizzled in ranch dressing or sauce of your choosing.
- You can use chicken of choice; rotisserie, leftover chicken, chicken breast, thighs, or even ground chicken.
- If you want to keep these vegetarian and keep it high-protein, I recommend using black beans or lentils.
- Use what works best for you for scooping. I used a mixture between a knife (to make scooping sections) and a spoon or melon baller to scoop.
- Use medium to large zucchini. They are easier to scoop and stuff.
- Don't use RedHot Hot Sauce. Use the RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce - there is a difference!
- Recipe calls for mozzarella cheese, but it is also delicious with colby jack or blue cheese.
- Save the zucchini insides! They can be mixed with other veggies and sautéed.
If Cooking Chicken:
- I recommend using a mixture between chicken breast and thighs. Thighs will help to add more flavor, as it is considered a dark meat. Place a nonstick pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil or 1-2 tbsp of butter (your choice).
- Season (1 pound) chicken breasts/thighs with :
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Once the oil/butter has heated, cook the chicken breasts/thighs on each side 4-6 minutes (time will be dependent on thickness of chicken and the chicken you use - thighs cook a bit faster than breasts). Internal temperature should read 165 degrees F when cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Once cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.
Serving: 2boats | Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 1239mg | Potassium: 791mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 865IU | Vitamin C: 35.1mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 2.3mg