Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup has all the flavors of the traditional baked cabbage rolls, but without all the work! This soup is bursting with flavor, easy to make, and filling.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, can use ground beef or chicken
- 2 cups carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth, can use vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water (add IF using uncooked white or brown rice)
- (2) 6 ounce cans of tomato paste
- 14.5 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added tomatoes, with juices
- 3/4 head cabbage, roughly chopped, approx. 4 cups
- 1 10 ounce bag of frozen cauliflower rice, can sub with 2/3 cup uncooked white rice or brown rice
- 2 bay leaves
Place a large stock pot over medium heat with olive oil. Once olive oil is hot, add the ground turkey and season it with salt and pepper, to taste.Using a spatula, break the turkey apart and into smaller pieces as it cooks.
Once the meat has browned, add the onions and carrots. Cook 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir well and add minced garlic. Saute 30 seconds.
Add oregano, thyme, parsley, and paprika. Stirring to fully incorporate the seasonings.
Pour in the broth, paste, and diced tomtaotes (with juices). Stir well. Add in the cabbage and cauliflower rice.Stir.. Place the bay leaves on top. Increase the temperature to a medium-high and bring the soup to a gentle boil.If using white/brown rice, add in the 1 cup of water, as well. Add the rice and bring the soup to a boil. Cook 15-20 minutes for white rice, 25-30 for brown rice. Once boiling, lower the temperature to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook 10-12 minutes, or until the cabbage has softened.Taste test and season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
Remove bay leaves and serve garnished with parsley and your favorite crackers or a side of bread.
- Full nutrition for the cauliflower rice are included below. If wanting to swap for white/brown rice, multiply each item within the nutrition label by 8 (this is the number of servings) and then subtract the full nutrition of the cauliflower rice. Add in the nutrition for the white/brown rice and divide by 8 to get the full nutrition per serving.
- Cauliflower rice can be swapped out for brown rice or white rice. Adjust the cooking time, as well as nutrition per serving, accordingly.
Cauliflower rice nutrition:
87.5 calories, 7g dietary fiber, 7g protein, 735g sodium, 14g carbohydrates, 420mg potassium, 7g sugar
- If using brown rice, add 10-15 minutes to simmer time.
- The soup will thicken as it continues to cook or sit. Add more broth to thin it out or keep it thick - its delicious either way!
- This soup will stay fresh in an airtight container the fridge for 3-4 days. If adding regular rice, the shelf life may be shorter. The rice will continue soaking up moisture, thickening the sauce, as well as softening.
Serving: 1serving - 1 1/4 cup | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 744mg | Potassium: 1268mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 5567IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg