One Pot Sausage Tortellini Tomato Soup
A creamy, tomato based soup that is filled with turkey sausage, cheese tortellini, herbs and tons of vegetables - all cooked in one pot. Easy, lightened up and bursting at the seams with flavor!
Servings 10 servings, 1 cup serving
- 3 tbsp olive oil, or less *SEE NOTES BELOW
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage, or Italian pork sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp lightly dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth, or chicken stock/vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp salt, more or less - to taste *SEE NOTES BELOW
- 1 tsp black pepper more or less - to taste
- 1 tbsp lightly dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup half and half, or sub with heavy cream
- 10 oz cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 bunch kale, removed from stems and chopped
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat with olive oil.
Once the olive oil is heated, add the sausage and break it apart as it cooks. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil. Once it has cooked halfway, add the peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir well.
Pour in the chicken broth, stirring to incorporate and to remove any brown bits that are on the pan from cooking the sausage. Add in the tomatoes and tomato paste. Whisk/stir until the paste is mixed through.
Allow it to come to a boil before adding the salt, pepper, basil, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in the half and half, kale, and tortellini. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked through and the kale has wilted slightly.
Serve garnished with red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of basil.
COOK THIS IN THE CROCK POT!
You can make this soup in the crock pot - with a few alterations to the cooking process. Brown the sausage in a pan prior to adding it to the crock pot and leave out the half and half, tortellini, and kale until the very end.
OLIVE OIL: If using Italian pork sausage, cut back to 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. The extra tablespoon is used with turkey, as it isn't as fatty of a meat, so it won't cook out any of the fat like pork sausage will.
SAUSAGE: You can use the sausage of your choosing if you're not a fan of turkey. Pork sausage will work splendidly! If using Italian pork sausage, skip the seasoning step that accompanies turkey sausage.
SODIUM: Please keep in mind, if you use canned tomatoes or broth that doesn't say 'no salt added' or 'unsalted' or 'low sodium', then be cautious when adding any additional salt listed in this recipe. Season to taste!
TORTELLINI & KALE: These buddies only need a few minutes to cook in the broth, so add them at the very end. You don't want overcooked tortellini falling apart in your soup anymore than you want overly cooked, stringy kale.
REHEATING: Keep in mind, pasta has a tendency to soak up the liquids in a soup or sauce as it sits. When ready to reheat, add more broth and seasonings (to taste) to be able to enjoy leftovers the second or third time around. I would also recommend adding a tablespoon or two more of tomato paste - depending on how much of the soup you're reheating. This will help to keep the soup base creamy.
- Place the browned sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and seasonings into the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir in the half and half. Add the tortellini and stir once more. Cover and cook for an additional 40-45 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, add in the kale or spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve garnished with red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, and basil.
Serving: 1serving, 1-cup | Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 978mg | Potassium: 475mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1740IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 2.8mg