Easy Chicken Taco Bowls
Tender, juicy chicken, Avocado Corn Salsa, and black beans served over brown rice and drizzled in Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce. So much flavor you will forget that you're eating healthy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into bite-size pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Avocado Corn Salsa:
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice, add to taste
- 1-2 tbsp cilantro, add to taste
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 2 scallions, root removed
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup cashew milk, or milk of choice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- freshly chopped cilantro
- chopped scallions, green onions
Combine all ingredients for the creamy cilantro lime sauce into a food processor and blend until it reaches a creamy consistency. Add lime juice, salt and pepper - all to taste. Place into the fridge until ready to use.The consistency of the sauce will depend on how much liquid you add. If you prefer a thicker sauce, start with 3 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of milk and increase to reached desired consistency. Start with the rice. Cook according to package instructions. Once cooked, toss in the black beans to warm and stir.Can sub with white rice, cauliflower rice, or a bed of lettuce.
Place the cut chicken into a ziploc bag. Add the seasonings, seal the bag, and toss to coat. Add the cornstarch, reseal, and toss to thoroughly coat - making sure each chunk is coated.
Place a large, nonstick pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Squeeze half or 1 full lime over the chicken as it cooks.Remove from heat. While the chicken is cooking, prep the avocado corn salsa by combining all ingredients into a medium-sized bowl, adding the avocado last. Fold in gently.Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add lime juice and cilantro as listed or to your taste preference.
Assemble the bowl: Divide the ingredients between 4 bowls: the black bean and rice mix, chicken, avocado corn salsa, cheese, and drizzle with the creamy cilantro lime sauce.
Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, a squeeze or two of lime juice, and chopped scallions.
- Cornstarch: Although it does help keep the chicken juicy and tender, it can be omitted. If not using cornstarch, I recommend covering the chicken with a lid as it cooks to retain some moisture.
- Cilantro: Add this to the salsa, as well as the dish, to taste. Some people prefer a lot whereas others prefer very little. Add as needed.
- Rice: You can use brown rice (as listed) or swap it out for white rice, cauliflower rice, or even a bed of lettuce.
- Black beans: I prefer these drained and rinsed and tossed directly with the rice as soon as it is cooked. This helps to warm them slightly.
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce: the thickness of the sauce will depend on your preference. The recipe calls for 1/3 cup of milk. If you prefer a thicker sauce, start with 3 tablespoons or 1/4 cup and add to thin, if desired.
- Avocado: I am always asked how to keep an avocado from browning. I recommend using avocados that are just starting to ripen. Do not use fully ripe avocados. They will brown much faster. The lime juice is also key in helping slow down the oxidizing. The shelf life of the salsa will be 1-2 days. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 655kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 1295mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1880IU | Vitamin C: 36.8mg | Calcium: 731mg | Iron: 3.1mg