Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
A delicious low-fat, high-protein salad that comes together in minutes. No cooking required! Cucumber, bell peppers, and onions tossed together with arugula and chopped romaine in a homemade garlicky, lemon vinaigrette. Perfect meat-free meal!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 english cucumber, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion, sliced thin
- 3 cups chopped romaine
- 2 cups arugula
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lightly dried parsley, or 2 tbsp freshly chopped *SEE NOTES BELOW
- 1 tbsp lightly dried basil, or 2 tbsp freshly chopped
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, or sub with feta cheese
- 1 medium avocado, cubed and diced
Place diced avocado into a bowl and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the top and season with a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
To a large bowl, add all salad ingredients and toss to combine.
In a 4 cup glass measuring cup, combine all ingredients for the dressing. Whisk together to thoroughly combine (see notes below).
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour dressing over salad, toss well to coat.
You can serve it immediately or allow the ingredients to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours. I would recommend adding the romaine and arugula separately if adding the dressing to have on hand in the fridge for a few days.
Dressing: The dressing ingredients will settle to the bottom quickly. Give the dressing a good stir or shake to mix before adding to your salad.
- A lot of the liquid components of the dressing will end up at the bottom of the serving bowl as it sits. I recommend tossing it before serving.
Avocado: If ripe and with lemon juice and salt, this will keep for 1 day in the salad. I recommend adding it before eating for maximum flavor and freshness.
Herbs: 1 tablespoon of lightly dried herbs equals 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs. If using dried herbs instead, 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs is the equivalent to 1 tsp of dried.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 656mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3200IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3.6mg