Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Breadsticks – the perfect lightened up, low-carb dish that everyone loves combined with cheesy breadsticks! Did I mention these breadsticks are made from cauliflower? Yep. You read right. Jalapeño Popper + Breadsticks = win win!
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Breadsticks
- 1 medium head cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- 2 jalapenos (sliced with stems and seeds removed (cuts back on the heat))
- 3 tbsp. Tofutti Cream Cheese (or cream cheese of choice)
- 2 tbsp. Ian's Italian Style Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dash of basil
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and toss them into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until it resembles a rice like texture, making sure that all florets have been processed.
- Place the cauliflower into a microwave safe container and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While you're waiting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the olive oil to heat, followed by the minced garlic. Cook the garlic for 1-2 minutes to soften. Set aside.
- Remove the cauliflower from the microwave once you're able to handle it. Open a cheesecloth and lay it flat on the counter. Scoop half of the cauliflower to the center of cheesecloth and pull the corners up- it will resemble a coin purse. Twist to close off the cauliflower. Standing over the sink, squeeze the pouch of cauliflower to remove as much of the water as you can. The more water you remove- the better! If the cauliflower retains too much water- it will not set and your breadsticks will turn out soggy.
- Once you have squeezed all of the cauliflower, place it and the remaining Crust ingredients (including the garlic) into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray (I generally use olive oil spray or coconut oil spray). Spoon the cauliflower mixture onto the sheet and smooth it out with the back of the spoon. You can make any shape that you'd like. Just make sure that you spread it very thin. It will not cook thick like regular pizza dough. Aim for a thickness of approximately 1/4 inch.
- Place into the oven and allow it to bake for 30 minutes. When its time to remove from the oven, prepare a second baking sheet with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray. Remove the crust from the oven, carefully lift the parchment paper up and flip the crust over to the second prepared baking sheet. This will help the crust cook more thoroughly but cooking both sides, removing any additional moisture. I promise it's easier than you think!
- Allow to bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until the crust has firmed.
- Once the crust has firmed, it's time for the topping. Spread on the cream cheese, followed by the mozzarella cheese and jalapeno slices. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top with a dash of dried basil and pop the breadsticks back into the oven to bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.