Easy Crockpot Mexican Style Shredded Chicken – this recipe is super simple to make, requires a few minutes of your time and full of flavor! It’s perfect for salads, wraps, overtop rice/quinoa, tacos, or in a sandwich.
The best part of a crockpot recipe? The crockpot does 95% of the work. Sorry, you are responsible for that 5% of effort here. Prep the ingredients, toss it into the pot and let it do it’s thing! I prefer to prep some foods/meals (meats, pasta dishes, vegetables, salads, etc.) one to two days a week. This helps for those lazy days, the days that you spend every minute possible completely busy, or when you don’t know what you feel like eating and want as less complicated as possible.
This is where the crockpot is a wonderful tool. I toss the chicken, broth, and seasonings in and in a few hours – I’ve got chicken for the week. Win win, right?
Can’t appear any simpler than this, now can it?
This recipe is extremely easy. Honest. If you mess this up, we need to have a little chat.
Everything you see in this picture – toss it all in the crockpot, set to low and forget about it. Not for good. You won’t be able to with the aroma that will fill your house. Set it and walk away for a few hours.
Viola! Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Or should it be lime squeezy with this recipe? Ha!
And in just 4-4.5 hours you have delicious, moist, flavor-packed Mexican Style Shredded Chicken. Don’t forget to pour the leftover liquid from the crockpot overtop of the chicken to help retain the flavor and keep the shredded chicken moist! If you store this in the fridge to have throughout the week, be sure to give the chicken a good stir first as the liquid will solidify and possibly settle at the bottom of the container.
- Serves: 4½ cups
- Serving size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 59
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Unsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Trans fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 0.9g
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 154.2mg
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Cholesterol: 28.9mg
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, or regular
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1¼ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ - 1 tsp sea salt, more or less - to taste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- In a small box, mix together all seasonings. Set aside.
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the pot. Squeeze half a lime over each chicken breast, turning to cover both sides.
- Rub both sides of the chicken breast with the seasonings and minced garlic. There will be enough to coat both sides of each breast.
- Into one empty corner/spot, pour the chicken broth into the pot.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro overtop. Cover with the lid and allow to cook on low for 4-5 hours, checking at 4 hours. Cook until the chicken is tender enough to shred with a fork.
- Once it is fork-tender, turn off the crock pot and remove the chicken one at a time from the pot to a cutting board or plate. Leave to cool slightly for 5-10 minutes before shredding.
- Once all of the chicken is shredded, place it into a bowl (or storage container) and transfer the leftover juices from the crockpot to the chicken. Toss to coat. This will help obtain as much moisture and flavor as possible.