If there ever was a stuffed bell pepper recipe to make your knees buckle and ask for seconds – its this one! These bell peppers are stuffed with lean ground turkey, quinoa, and packed with flavorful seasonings. The quinoa is cooked in vegetable broth for an additional punch of flavor that is sure to please. My husband, Robert, has never been much of a stuffed pepper fan. At least he wasn’t until he tried these! I’m feeling pretty confident that you’ll feel the same way and I’m willing to bet money on it, too.
Give these Santa Fe Style Stuffed Peppers a try!
Santa Fe Style Stuffed Peppers
Author: With Peanut Butter on Top
- Serves: 6 bell pepper halves
- Serving size: 1 bell pepper halve
- Calories: 297
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Trans fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8g
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 265mg
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth, or choice
- ⅓ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced- stem and seeds removed (optional)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup black beans (canned)
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 3 bell peppers, seeds & membrane removed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dash of basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan add ½ cup rinsed quinoa and 1 cup broth. Bring the quinoa to a boil and lower the temperature to a simmer, cover and cook until the broth is fully absorbed. Approximately 10-13 minutes.
- Prepare the bell peppers by slicing them in half, removing the stems, seeds and membrane. Set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the chopped onion, garlic and diced jalapeno. Stir and allow to saute until the onions have caramelized.
- Once the onions have cooked through, add the ground turkey and allow to cook, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Allow the turkey to cook through.
- Once cooked, add the diced tomato and black beans. Stir and cook to heat the tomato and black beans. Remove from heat.
- Combine the turkey mixture, cooked quinoa and feta cheese into a large bowl. Fold to mix.
- Lay each bell pepper into a 8 x 12 (or larger) baking dish cut-side up. Stuff each bell pepper with the turkey quinoa mixture. Depending on the size of your bell peppers, they may be stuffed to the max, but thats ok. Press down with the back of a spoon to push the stuffing down in each one.
- Once each bell pepper is stuffed, add 1 to 2 cups of water directly to the baking dish to surround the bottom parts of the bell peppers.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the mozzarella cheese and a dash of basil to each pepper. Bake, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese has melted.