Roasting bell peppers is just as easy as buying a jar of them! So why not make your own? The hardest thing you’ll have to do is slice and watch them. Can’t get any easier than that! Learn how to roast red peppers with my simple step-by-step directions below.
If you’ve never tried roasted red peppers – you should! They are the perfect compliment to a salad, pizza, wraps or sandwiches. Or you can puree them and add them to your next pasta dish! Or … you can be like me and nibble at them every time you open the refrigerator? Healthy grazing. Aha
Clean the bell peppers as you normally would the rest of your produce. I like to wash my produce in a water + vinegar bath – 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar. Let them soak for a few minutes, rinse and store.
Once cleaned, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking/cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. (I did this post photo obviously! 😉 )
Prepare the bell peppers by slicing them in half – removing the stems and seeds. Place them onto the prepared sheet, cut-side down.
Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes, watching every 5-8 minutes for charring/blackened skins.
Once they have blackened on the top and the skins have wrinkled, as you see above, remove them from the oven and place them into a sealable container. You can use a pyrex dish with lid, ziploc bag, or even a brown paper bag. Just make sure the peppers are fully sealed. The steam will help aid in the removal of the skins. Allow to sit and cool for 15-20 minutes.
Once the peppers have cooled, the skins should easily peel away without any difficulty.
From here you can slice, dice or leave them as is. I prefer to slice mine prior to storing, but it’s not necessary to do so. If you’re only roasting a few peppers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Or if you’ve bought and plan to roast in bulk – you can freeze them to have throughout the year. I like to place one full roasted pepper, sliced, into it’s own ziploc bagg for easy access when I’m wanting to add some to a salad, a sandwich or wrap.
- Red Bell Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Clean the bell peppers. I always clean my produce in a 2:1 (water to vinegar) bath. Pat the peppers dry. Line a cookie/baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the peppers in half, removing the stem and seeds.
- Place the red peppers on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven on the very top shelf and allow to cook until the top layer of the skin has blackened/charred. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a moment before touching. Place into a bowl and cover. You can also place them into a ziploc bag, or any sealable item.
- Lethal cool off and steam for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the container and remove the skins. They should peal right off. Place into an airtight container or freeze them for later use.