There are no words to describe just how delicious this dish was. There are two things that makes my tummy the happiest – cheese and pasta. I swear, I must have been Italian in another life. I could happily live off of those two things (even bread) for the rest of my life and be happy. Perhaps not my waistline, but my taste buds – most definitely. Don’t be fooled by the jalapeños on top. This dish is in no way hot, but if you’re looking to add a little heat – they are the perfect start. Especially cooked.
This dish is cheesy taco goodness. I can’t promise you’ll be able to portion control yourself with this one.
This recipe is so good I have made it more than a few times. It certainly became a quick fan favorite with my husband. And we all know – the significant others opinion ranks high on our lists. If we had any children, they would probably rank even higher considering their picky palates. Haha
Cheesy Skillet Taco Pasta
Author: With Peanut Butter on Top
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 417
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Trans fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9g
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 541mg
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 36.9g
- Cholesterol: 97mg
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, 2 cloves
- 1 bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapenos, sliced (optional)
- (1) 10 oz. can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 2¾ cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 3 cups whole grain rotini, or pasta of choice
- ½ cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a cast iron (or oven-safe pan) over medium heat with ½ tbsp. olive oil. Once the olive oil is heated, add the diced onion, bell peppers, and minced garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes.
- As the onions caramelize, add the ground chicken, salt and pepper, and remaining seasonings. Stir well and break up the chicken as it cooks.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, add the sliced jalapeños (optional), diced tomatoes, chicken broth and pasta. Bring to a boil, stir very well and lower temperature to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook 10-15 minutes or until the pasta has softened. Allow for there to be some remaining liquid from the broth.
- As soon as the pasta is cooked, mix in ½ cup greek yogurt and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Once the cheese has been mixed throughout and melted- top with remaining cheese and jalapeno pepper slices. Place the skillet into the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet/pan, then spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake until cheese has melted.
- Serve with toppings of choice.